Pages

Friday, March 19, 2021

Awesome letter

This is my letter about waitangi and if I was there hope you like it. 

 6th feb 1840        Letter

Hi Mum and Dad


I've missed you this whole week because I've been at the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. I was with James Busby, Captain William Hobson, Reverend Henry Williams, Tamati Waaka Nênê and many many more people at the signing of the Treaty. There were lots of people at the signing. It was a really warm day here in New Zealand. We were up in the North Island at a place called Waitangi in the Bay of Islands.


The signing of the treaty was a whole document between the Maori and the British they agreed to be ruled by Queen Victoria. The Maori and the British didn’t understand each other’s language. There was a lot of confusion and discussions. English words translated into Maori didn’t mean the same thing to the Maori as they did to the English. Some words the Maori didn’t understand at all. It seemed to me that the Maori had to sign the Treaty or they wouldn’t be protected.


The Treaty was read out in English and Maori and then it was signed by some of the Maori chiefs and the important English people. Te Kemera Kaiteke was not happy with the Treaty and said he would not sign it. He wanted the English people to leave New Zealand. A lot of the Maori people couldn’t read or write so they signed the treaty with a mark.


Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Your loving son 


Alex





No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post