Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2021

About Type 1 Diabetes

Kia ora this is my health about type 1 diabetes it tells you about it, what happened to me, what happens now, why i got diabetes and my health now. I have to do this for the rest of my life. I hope you like it.

My health

What its about


When we eat food some of it breaks down into sugar. The sugar goes around the blood. The body notices there is sugar and sends a message to an organ in the body called the pancreas which produces something called insulin which is the key which lets the sugar into all the cells in the body. If there is no insulin the sugar can’t get in the cells so it leaves the body in your urine. 


What Happened To Me


Around six months ago something happened to me and my body started attacking the cells that produce insulin, so my body stopped producing insulin. My body handled it for a while till I started to get very sick during lockdown. My symptoms were that I was very hungry and thirsty, and I was peeing lots even during the night. I was losing lots of weight and I was very tired and lethargic. My mum checked my sugar levels in my blood by pricking my finger and then I had to pee in a pottle and she checked how much sugar was in my pee, and it was very high. The sugar in my blood was high too. So then we had to go to the Emergency Department where they told me that I had Type 1 Diabetes. I stayed in hospital on the seventh floor in the children's ward for 2 nights. We learned a lot about diabetes. 






What Happens Now


I have to count carbs in my meals and I have to give myself two different types of insulin by injecting it in my stomach. I have to have my Novorapid three times a day before every meal (breakfast, Lunch and dinner) and Lantus once a day before dinner. I have a sensor on my arm which I scan with my scanner that tells me my glucose levels (which are my sugar levels). We then count the carbs in my meals and use the grid to work out how much units of insulin I need to 

have. 


Why Did I Get Diabetes?


Nobody knows why people get Type 1 diabetes. Sometimes its because there is a family history, but not in my family. So I was just unlucky. Because I have it, my brothers and sisters and their children are more likely to get Type 1 diabetes - 5 times more likely. Now because of me there is a family history. You can’t catch diabetes from me, it is not contagious.


My Health Now


I feel better now because I am having insulin. I can eat most foods just not most sugary lollies and no fizzy drinks unless it has zero sugar. I can have no carb foods - Edam and colby cheese, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, ham, leftover chicken, cold meat,  salami, a teaspoon of peanut butter, avocado, egg, marmite. For my morning and afternoon tea I have to have foods less than 10 g of carbs like - a couple of plain biscuits, 2 cups of plain popcorn, one slice of sandwich bread with a free topping, 3 crackers, up to 6 rice crackers, one pikelet, a pottle of yogurt, a le snak, or a small banana.


Ending


This is what I have to do for the rest of my life unless they find a cure.



Do you have any questions? If you do i'll get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post